Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Simply Breathtaking




Ushering in the New Year it was.... What a Place, this was!!! A trip of a lifetime, off the pacific rim coastline, very close to the US/Canadian border, an hour & a half ride on a cruise ferry from Anacortes on a cold drizzly day. This magnificent island is home to several hundred residents who mainly are fishermen and thrive primarily on tourism. The island has a 9 hole golf course that I did NOT get to visit only coz I did not think that they would have one. There are several bars, restaurants, book shops, souvenir tourist shops and holiday homes. I spent some time in one of the local sports bars, had some lunch & teremusha'd with some booz, played some pool and watched some football. They even have a movie theatre that probaby fits about 50 people max.


Here you want to be with your significant other to fully maximise the Islands potential. The Island is just miles away from Vancouver, Canada and Alaska. You know how Kenyan's are everywhere, believe you me, I met this Kenyan guy selling at the main book store, his name was Mutua, can you even figure the disbelief and expression on my face when I read his name badge? Kenyan's are indeed another breed of people and you need to be very proud of just being Kenyan. This guy seemed happy & content and that was his hustle and daily gig. We chatted in swahili, hugged & exchanged numbers. I honestly doubt I'll ever go back there not because it is not a great place but just for the very fact that I may never go back there anytime soon, but it was the normal thing to do - exchange numbers as we may meet some place else.


Simply Proud to be KENYAN. Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

Its been a fantasy of mine to sail away on a ship cruise...be still my heart!!!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Farmgal said...

wow thats beautiful! I agree with you Kenyans are everywhere.

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely indeed. Kenyans are a breed aside.
Happy New year BJ
*i can't believe I wrote that*

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic place to spend the New Year. Thanks for visiting my spot

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very calming, thank you for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home